David Miliband has said he is “deeply concerned” for Labour’s future as Jeremy Corbyn’s policies have led the party to its weakest point in half a century.
The former foreign secretary said Labour’s shift to the left under Mr Corbyn was a “mistake” which will not address the challenges Britain faces.
His comments come as Mr Corbyn resists fresh calls to resign following a humiliating by-election defeat at the hands of the Tories in the Cumbrian seat of Copeland.
Mr Miliband, who was narrowly beaten to the leadership by his brother Ed in 2010, called on Labour to "understand the historic nature of the challenge" it now faces, with a recent opinion poll putting the party 18 points behind the Tories.
But he refused to join the calls for Mr Corbyn to stand down.
In an interview with The Times Mr Miliband said: "I always say to people, 'Play the ball not the man.' So, 'What do I think of Jeremy Corbyn?' is not the question I ask myself. The question is, 'What do I think of the strategy?'
"The tempting thing to say is that it's a mistake because it won't get elected but for people like me it's a mistake because it won't address the challenges of the country.
"This isn't just an electability question, it's a question of substance. I think one can achieve more radical and substantive change through a different set of positions."
Saphora Smith.
Full story at Standard.

No comments:
Post a Comment