Monday, 28 August 2017

South Africa shooting: Gunman opens fires in theatre over lost phone.

One person was killed and eight injured.

One person was killed and eight injured when a gunman opened fire in a packed Johannesburg theatre after his mobile phone went missing in the audience, police said on Monday.

The man shot indiscriminately at the crowd attending a charity concert at Hillbrow Theatre early on Sunday, demanding his mobile phone.

"The suspect fired randomly at the crowd, and one person died and eight others were wounded," said police spokesman Lungelo Dlamini.

"It is understood that the man had his cellphone stolen. He fled the scene on foot after the incident."

Police were still searching for the assailant.

The theatre caretaker who escaped the violence told The Citizen newspaper that he heard the gunshot and rushed inside to find patrons jostling to escape.

"It seems the man lost his stuff in the crowd and started complaining about his phone. He grabbed the mic and started saying whoever took his cellphone must give it back," said Phanankosi Dube.

Hillbrow, an inner city suburb, is known for violent crimes.

The concert had been staged to raise funds to support an organisation that offers safe space for children.


Agence France-Presse.

Culled from The National AE.

No comments:

Post a Comment